Book discussion

A place for casual conversations (OOC).
May be posted to by: Applicants +
xzreasel
Leader
Timezone: UTC+01:00

Book discussion

Post by xzreasel »

Post some of your favorite books here ;)
I could recomend Dresden Files cycle by Jim Butcher and Eric Carter cycle by Stephen Blackmoore

https://www.goodreads.com/series/40346- ... sden-files

https://www.goodreads.com/series/101877-eric-carter
xzreasel
Leader

Re: Book discussion

Post by xzreasel »

I've read the Iron Druid cycle, it's quite nice nad i think i read some books you posted i nara future :)

This series is great
https://www.goodreads.com/series/43493- ... the-fallen
Its one of most complex story i've ever read. First book is slighty weaker than the rest of the series, but to describe second one with one word i'll say its just epic.

https://ebookpoint.pl/ksiazki/the-night ... e_23do.htm

This is some good lovecraftian like book, this one were translated in few languages, nad the story is real good, there are few obvious lovecraft references, but most of them are subtle.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/47004- ... rumologist
This series is good to. I've didn't read book three yet, but the second book about a wendigo is in my opinion very good.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/220462 ... -casebooks

Real great stories mixing lovecraftian world and Sherlock Holmes books, if you ever think how rational mind of Sherlock will react facing cosmic horrors and forces beyond human recognition this is the answer on that question :)
Waspstar

Post by Waspstar »

I could talk forever about books -- someone stop me! :D

I've never read any of those you've both listed, so I'm browsing with interest.

Some of my all-time favourites:

Orlando by Virginia Woolf
Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
Rings of Saturn by W.G. Sebald
Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

…and a million others.

Something I'd like to ask everyone: have you read The Witcher books, and are the games as good or better?
"So much pain can be avoided by not devising stories that further upset us."

~ Derren Brown
Razorgrin
Twitter: @magusferox

Post by Razorgrin »

I... bought the first Witcher book with intent to read it, after playing Witcher 3 and falling in love with it. xD But no, I haven't read the book really. As I get older it just seems like I've got less drive to sit and read. Loved the third game, the first and second games were clunky. The TV show was perfection, can't wait for another season :D
:twisted:
xzreasel
Leader

Post by xzreasel »

I've read all books in witcher series a couple of times, there are quite good, however there's less slavic folklore in it than in game.

There are better fantasy books made by polish autors but most of them dosen't have english version, and in my opinnion few od this authors are better than Sapkowski.

Tales form Meekhan borderland by Robert E. Wegner are way better than witcher. The story is about Empire ruling over most of The continent. This Empire ends many religious war nad put temples in line so they will not interfere with ruling, and as the story goes it turns out that gods and other enteties are interfered with mortals lives again.

Other great book series that dosen't have english version is Inquisitor Cycle by Jacek Piekara. The story is about Inquisitor cheasing
witches and heretics in world where Jesus after crucifixion step down The cross with sword and fire to punish those who don't belived his teachings, and becouse of that world history and christianity are different, and it is real dark world.
Waspstar

Post by Waspstar »

I'm late spotting this -- interesting info, Xzreasel, thanks. I hope more of these find their way to English translations :)

Also, I meant to say thanks for mentioning the Brandon Sanderson world-building videos the other day. I've bookmarked them.

~ Derren Brown
Katelin
Leader
Twitter: @Nine_Swords

Post by Katelin »

I read quite a lot, my taste is pretty broad I suppose - I read to be transported, and if I cry, it was the best book ever.

In the last couple of months, here is a selection of what I read

The Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit by Tolkien
I admittedly had not read this until now. Not sure why not, though after reading these books I tried The Silmarillion and just could not understand what I was reading. I think I was just not in the right frame of mind.

They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera
This one made me cry, I had talked myself into the book title not being a spoiler because I got too invested.

Turtles all the way Down by John Green
I don't remember crying, but I did like it. I can usually quite happily re-read any of his books.

The Thursday Murder Club By Richard Osman
I found this book really chatty.. like a conversation to read. I enjoyed it because it was quite light hearted and didn't make me think very much. I loved that old people were portrayed as quick witted, smart and active - opposed to tea drinking and doddering in their old age.

Currently reading:
Harry Potter by J.K Rowling
I avoided these books. Honestly, I had ZERO interest in reading them. But our daughter received them as a gift and ploughed through them as if they were the best thing since sliced bread.. so figured I should give them a shot too.

Currently re-reading: (I always have books on my phone for the journey to work)
Surviving the Evacuation by Frank Tayell
I come back to this series frequently, and he is still releasing new books in the series. It is all about zombies. Each time I read it, I find new bits that I likely skipped over because I had to get off the train. If ever we have a zombie apocalypse I am going to be well prepared ;)

Just ordered yesterday:
Quiet By Susan Cain
I rarely read anything that isn't a story in my free time.. but after listening to a podcast she was speaking in, I felt compelled to read her book.

And when I want a "comfort" book - something where I am at once swept up in the words and can hear the author reading aloud even though I am just reading the words on the page.. then I read a book .. any book - even his books for children are good "If the wolves come out of the walls, then it’s all over" :) by Neil Gaiman.
If you find yourself forced to mercilessly slaughter your teammates because they become infected with some rare mutation, keep in mind that you are only doing your job -
They would do the same for you.
Razorgrin
Twitter: @magusferox

Post by Razorgrin »

I just finished the first three books from Blodwedd Mallory, and about to start in on the one I got from her for Megaversary, Into the Inferno <3
:twisted:
Waspstar

Post by Waspstar »

That Susan Cain book in particular sounds interesting!

The non-fiction book I've just started is The Magic Box by Rob Young [about the influence of British TV, especially cult-y programmes, on the nation].

Before that, it was Dreamland - the biography of Bob Lazar, a man who claimed to have worked on reverse engineering a UFO at Area 51. Compelling.

I got to thinking the other day, looking through my bookshelves and my kindle, that I am never going to clear this unread backlog in my lifetime. And yet I buy more each week :D

~ Derren Brown