May be posted to by: Applicants +
Xeeyon
Founder (retired)

Getting closer to Minority Report!

Post by Xeeyon »

Aralon

Re: Getting closer to Minority Report!

Post by Aralon »

Damn thats nice, now all we need a holograph type thing now and we can look pro :-P
Retired.
Kort

Post by Kort »

Crazy...of course as a child of the 80's remembering all the talk about how advanced things would be by now, we haven't come nearly as far as they speculated we would 30 years ago. :lol:
name: Baron McArthur
alias: Kort
affiliations: Templars, Nine Swords
abilities: Assault Rifle, Pistols, Fists, Blades, and Blood Magic
Fetterlock

Post by Fetterlock »

Back in the 80's we expected that the Earth's remaining survivors would be living in a post-apocalyptic society by 2012. I am thankful that we still haven't blown the world up at this point. When I think of futuristic stories from the 80's I think of Blade Runner, The Road Warrior, Terminator, etc. We are much more fortunate than the people who populated those stories. :) (Although I have to admit I have often thought that fields of endeavor such as pop music and automotive design haven't progressed much since the 80's, and it's hard not to feel a bit disappointed about that.)

I think the technology Xeeyon has shown us will be useful for those point-of-sale transactions which require us to make various electronic selections and to sign our names every time we use our credit cards. The lack of any moving parts (other than the customers' own fingers and hands) would help to ensure a long service life and the touch-free design could spare us from direct contact with germ-infested electronic devices in stores.

However, for routine computer use I think this technology would probably require more effort and more hand movement than what we are currently tolerating with our mouse controllers. I expect that touchscreens will be the future for all devices which require precisely controlled adjustments (replacing buttons, switches, sliders, and knobs on digitally-controlled devices), and for ordinary mouse duties I believe that devices which require less hand movement and less table space will eventually become the favored choices. Trackballs and laptop-style touch-pads look like safe bets to me. I have noticed that good old trackballs seem to be becoming the preferred controllers in recording studios and mastering rooms (judging from internet photos), and I think they will probably gain more followers over time.
Fez

Post by Fez »

I am very excited for technology like this.

I agree with Fetterlock that in most situations, this will be harder to use than a mouse, or touchscreen, but I also feel that it's moving in the right direction hehe.
Uragon
Commander

Post by Uragon »

Personally I'm much more impressed by the prospects of Google Glass:
Aralon

Post by Aralon »

Uragon wrote:Personally I'm much more impressed by the prospects of Google Glass:
lol that made me laugh :-P if they had glasses like that I dont think I would get them. Nothing understands my thick accent unless I talk slow D-:
Retired.
Xeeyon
Founder (retired)

Post by Xeeyon »

Uragon wrote:Personally I'm much more impressed by the prospects of Google Glass:
That's amazing... Is it really in development? I wonder how much of this is made up for the "demo" and how much actually works...

...but I'd prefer the Leap for gaming ;)
Aralon

Post by Aralon »

I would love something like these bad boys.

But with maybe a motion control to it so when you turn your head, the game turns. Would be excellent on exploration games and investigation games. Of course still using the keyboard and mouse to move/interact.

EDIT: or the april fools xbox helm :-P
Retired.
Uragon
Commander

Post by Uragon »

From what I managed to read about the Glass project it so far, they got very for on the photography / video part of the device. There is lots of interesting media out there that shows its potential, like from one guy spinning around his son, somebody doing a somersault on a trampoline etc. I guess the HUD UI and integration with other data sources is the much trickier part though. I sure wouldn't count on the video becoming reality in less than 5 years.

Oh, and I'd buy that helmet if it came with its own AC with active filters. No more hayfever! :lol: