Elite Dungeons 26 May 11pm GMT

Past events / Archive of scheduled events.
May be read by: Public+

Moderator: Leaders

Gebbeth

Elite Dungeons 26 May 11pm GMT

Post by Gebbeth »

Elite Dungeons 26 May 11pm GMT, 6pm CDT/CST
Tues Evenings Dungeon Crawl!

Still going through the Elites!

Cisum needs the Hell Raised, Ankh, and the Slaughterhouse.
GreenExorcist needs Polaris, Hell Raised, Ankh, Hell Eternal, and the Slaughterhouse.

1. SilvaTomorrow - DPS
2. Cisum - Heals
3. Rippledrums - DPS
4. GreenExorcist - Tank
5. Stevias
Last edited by Gebbeth on Tue May 26, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“Doubt is uncomfortable, but certainty is ridiculous.” - Voltaire
rippledrums

Re: Elite Dungeons 26 May 11pm GMT

Post by rippledrums »

Count me in as DPS! :)

Happy to help :)
GreenExorcist
Twitter: @MrMToomey

Post by GreenExorcist »

I would like to do Hell Eternal and Slaughthouse since I havent seen that story yet. Glance tank.
So a demon walks into a bar and- "NOT TODAY!"

- My character learning how to take a joke.
Chaosetor
Twitter: @Chaosetor_tsw

Post by Chaosetor »

GreenExorcist wrote:I would like to do Hell Eternal and Slaughthouse since I havent seen that story yet. Glance tank.
Glance tanking may be good for PvP, but in PvE you should get a set of block talismans, especially if you plan on tanking NMs once you get your elites done. It shouldn't be an issue in Elites if your healer is good enough, but in NMs Block is by far superior to defence in all dungeons except the ankh. Also, you need to do damage as a tank in order to keep aggro, so having abilities that reflect damage back on the attacker upon a glancing or a blocked hit will not suffice as the DPSes are likely to steal aggro.
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
Gebbeth

Post by Gebbeth »

Will depend on the team we end up with which dungeons we do - Cisum's been waiting especially for the Ankh (he was unable to finish his last go) so I was planning that one first. Let's otherwise leave dungeon selection to be a game-time decision.
GreenExorcist
Twitter: @MrMToomey

Post by GreenExorcist »

Chaosetor wrote:
GreenExorcist wrote:I would like to do Hell Eternal and Slaughthouse since I havent seen that story yet. Glance tank.
Glance tanking may be good for PvP, but in PvE you should get a set of block talismans, especially if you plan on tanking NMs once you get your elites done. It shouldn't be an issue in Elites if your healer is good enough, but in NMs Block is by far superior to defence in all dungeons except the ankh. Also, you need to do damage as a tank in order to keep aggro, so having abilities that reflect damage back on the attacker upon a glancing or a blocked hit will not suffice as the DPSes are likely to steal aggro.
I got it covered. Too late for me to switch to a block tank gear wise, though. Unless you want to give me all new purple and blue gear. :D
So a demon walks into a bar and- "NOT TODAY!"

- My character learning how to take a joke.
Chaosetor
Twitter: @Chaosetor_tsw

Post by Chaosetor »

GreenExorcist wrote:
Chaosetor wrote:
I got it covered. Too late for me to switch to a block tank gear wise, though. Unless you want to give me all new purple and blue gear. :D
It may work well for elites, in fact, it probably does, glance is just spikier than block in terms of healing. In NMs, however, you will need block rating as glance tanks are absolutely hellish to keep alive (except in the ankh), better than evade tanks, but much harder than block tanks. The reason is that block goes against your oponent's penetration rating to stop penetrating hits. In addition to this, you can block hits to further reduce the hits. Defence goes against your oponent's hit rating, meaning, if they hit you and it does not glance, you can and probably will receive a penetrating hit. Multiple of these in a row will hurt a lot and it will likely be more than most leechers can handle, you also typically need more defence to make it useable than you need block (750 block suffices). It is not uncommon to have multiple talismans for roles in this game, personally I have five sets of tanking talismans, but I am a perfectionist so you will probably not need to be that pedantic :P Evade and defence are not really options in NMs though as it makes you much, much harder to heal, and you will likely need more of the stat in question to make it effective and more HP, which means less AR, which means less aggro which in turn means you will lose aggro more often. Block is what every tank uses, and there are various reasons for this, so while you can keep your defence talismans for ankh tanking in NM (when you get that far) and PvP, you will need a set of block talismans too if you plan on eventually tanking NMs.

On the bright side, you do not need block on every talisman. 650 hit will still be needed, and 750 block equals 2 majors and a minor, or a weapon (not both), one major and one minor talisman so one really only needs 3 talismans in addition to DPS talismans to block tank :D Recommended atsts would be 650 hit, 750 block and the rest in pen. If you use EF then you can have block on your builder weapon and crit power on your off hand weapon for more damage, providing your off hand weapon is the one that exploits EF, such as the case is here: https://www.nine-swords.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=7255. If you use any other combination than blade/hammer with hammer as your EF weapon, then I would recommend just having pen on both weapons, and just put block on two major talismans and a minor talisman. If that is not possible (say you have hit on two major talismans to get to 650) then you will likely need to have some mixed glyphs on some talismans.

Ciritty explains the various aspects of tanking marvellously in her pink tanking guide which can be found here: https://forums.thesecretworld.com/showt ... t-furry%29
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
Gebbeth

Post by Gebbeth »

OMG that was PAINFUL! I don't know how many times I died, but I'm guessing at least a solid dozen! :roll:

Well, "Live and Learn" - and if you're a 'bee' you can Die and Learn! ;)
rippledrums

Post by rippledrums »

Yeah there was a lot of dying going on :D

I've done a few Elites more than once and I haven't memorized all of them.

And then I started doing the first 3 Nightmare dungeons and realized a lot is different and that I have no idea what I am doing most of the time :P
Gebbeth

Post by Gebbeth »

May try the old Gate Keeper today - this weekend for sure.