Builds?

A place for casual conversations (OOC).
May be posted to by: Applicants +
Zyph

Builds?

Post by Zyph »

So, multiple times now it has been suggested that I have a DPS build also. So, where is a good place to start discussing a DPS build. I am leaning towards AR/Shotgun, but Pistol/Shotgun is exciting too. Here is the thing, I only got the game in Nov, ALL I have ever done in this game is tank and solo. So I have no clue at all how to be a DPS player in this game. I am 80% complete on the skill wheel, so I do have a bit to work with.
Jennet

Re: Builds?

Post by Jennet »

Here's that thread I was talking about, Zyph!

http://www.nine-swords.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1792
And in the fury of this darkest hour, we will be your light...
Firearc

Post by Firearc »

http://wordpress.tswguides.com/tsw-build-page/

This is a really great place to get ideas for dps builds for NM ect.. I will find one that i like and than i will slowly alter it to meet my play style.

This is where I got my AR/Shotgun bulid

http://wordpress.tswguides.com/s-t-a-r- ... e-by-braz/

though i changed out frag gernade with fire at will for aoe consumer but thats just me.
Ravrohan

Post by Ravrohan »

That build of hoozer's is almost the same as what I started using for pistol/shotgun. I swapped out breach party active and passive though. I felt I needed an aoe builder. How is this with swapping out shootout for Big 45 (with and without passive)? I normally use shootout unless I have to move and react a lot.
Jennet

Post by Jennet »

If you don't bring Breaching Shot (with or without Breaching Party passive) to the group when you're running shotgun, you're wasting an opportunity. You will increase the rest of the party's dps significantly, and yours as well, running it.

One thing we found is that the quest to maximize personal dps (i.e., how much can I do in Crucible alone), is hugely offset by the benefits of bringing buffs to the party. DPS who do not bring buffs of one sort or another really force the other two dps in the party to do it. It's a basic shift in paradigm between judging personal performance and group performance. I didn't get it at first, but the difference it makes in the speed and effectiveness of our runs to have three dps all running buffs of some sort is amazing.

I'll just say that Hoozer brings both Deadly Aim and Breaching Shot with him every time, and often tops the dps chart as well. Using one builder and two consumers well can make up for a lot of bells and whistles of damage shots.
Firearc

Post by Firearc »

Rav i would prolly leave breaching shot and party in the build and drop doe or die if you need aoe for some reason, as you will only lower your personal dps but you are going to still be buffing all the dps in the group which overall as a group will increase dps numbers.

If the group states you need some aoe you can always drop or change the build for that one specific fight.
Zyph

Post by Zyph »

I will have to take a look at what skills and weapons I have. I know I have a good set of pistol, but not a Shotgun I don't think. Then I will start running Elites to get used to the build before I am willing to take it into NM. Give me a few weeks and I should have a working DPS build and gear set based on Drops alone. Don't really want to invest BB until my primary tank gear is where I want it to be though.

Hoozer's build I think is the one I am going to go with. Pistols are just fun. :)
Firearc

Post by Firearc »

you can get a really good shotgun from last boss in DW NM and we dont mind running yo through nightmares on dps even if you dont have the build down, its a good way to practice. We are always trying out new builds on the spur of the moment.. *looks at Sam* and find that we do great on the fly .
Ravrohan

Post by Ravrohan »

Firearc wrote:Rav i would prolly leave breaching shot and party in the build and drop doe or die if you need aoe for some reason, as you will only lower your personal dps but you are going to still be buffing all the dps in the group which overall as a group will increase dps numbers.

If the group states you need some aoe you can always drop or change the build for that one specific fight.
This is what I did tonight, and the loot gods smiled, because I did get a shotgun drop from one of the bosses. 10.0 or 10.2, I'm not sure which now. I did leave out breach party though in favor of another damage skill (kept deadly aim's passive though) as the only time it felt like we would need the buff more often was when we were fighting the Machine Tyrant.

I just feel so naked without an aoe on call :)
Jennet

Post by Jennet »

Ravrohan wrote:I just feel so naked without an aoe on call :)
I change out my builder, elite active, passives... all kinds of stuff... between fights all the time... safety off if I don't have to run, hip shot if I do (anima burst/anima shot sometimes for the same reason, but I usually just use anima shot now), suppressing fire if we're going to have a bunch of ads in the fight cleanup for my active if we need it, do or die if we don't. The only time you're stuck in one build for a whole dungeon is if you're doing Master Planner. :)