Random Thread

A place for casual conversations (OOC).
May be posted to by: Applicants +
Kotts
Founder (retired)

Re: Random Thread

Post by Kotts »

I heard this was based off a book or prior movie but didn't get any details beyond that. Good to know now though :)
Ravynswind
Founder (retired)

Post by Ravynswind »

Burroughs is an amazing writer. We especially like the Pullicidar series, but be prepared to have your vocabulary challenged.
"What you have are bullets and the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing, because if I am, you'll all be dead before you've reloaded."
Xeeyon
Founder (retired)

Post by Xeeyon »

There's music from "The Last Temptation of Christ" in the trailer... But what really caught my attention is the remake of "Kashmir" by Led Zeppelin. Led Zep seems to be in fashion with movies, nowadays, seeing they just had "The Immigrant Song" remade for the movie "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Growing up to that stuff, I'm glad with the remake, many remakes are poorly done but the Reznor one kicked arse :) I hope this one will too!
Fetterlock

Post by Fetterlock »

I always like to see Led Zep love! They were everything I lived for during a certain period of my youth (in the 1980's--I was not quite old enough to have been into them while they were still together), and they were the band that opened my ears to the blues for the first time when I heard a recording of their 1969 live BBC performance of "You Shook Me." After hearing that, I started to take my guitar playing seriously for the first time. I was also obsessed with the movie The Song Remains the Same for a long time and frequently annoyed my friends by playing and re-playing the extra-long version of "Dazed and Confused" from the soundtrack.

I just listened to the Trent Reznor version of "Immigrant Song" for the first time moments ago, and my first reaction was that the drums at the beginning made me think that I was hearing an alternate take of Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill." Overall, I think it is a reasonably good cover, although maybe it could have benefited from a just little more weight and emphasis during the choruses. Trent Reznor introduced me to the joys of Joy Division with his excellent cover of "Dead Souls" back in the '90s, so maybe he will create new Zeppelin fans with this new cover.

As for the "Kashmir" cover, I have to say that based on the little snippet they give us in the trailer I like it a lot. I don't know who it comes from, but it sounds good to me.
Xeeyon
Founder (retired)

Post by Xeeyon »

Fetterlock wrote:I just listened to the Trent Reznor version of "Immigrant Song" for the first time moments ago, and my first reaction was that the drums at the beginning made me think that I was hearing an alternate take of Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill." Overall, I think it is a reasonably good cover, although maybe it could have benefited from a just little more weight and emphasis during the choruses.
Same tempo, yes :) Bush's drums sounded drier. I like the ending on the Immigrant song's remake. In the ending, the guitar and voice "descente" was merely suggested by Palmer's faint moaning, but Reznor/Atticus highlighted it and it now packs a punch :)
Fetterlock wrote:As for the "Kashmir" cover, I have to say that based on the little snippet they give us in the trailer I like it a lot. I don't know who it comes from, but it sounds good to me.
It would take a rare "talent" to mess up a song like that... :lol:
Nexa
Founder (retired)

Post by Nexa »

Gimme a an empty bottle of beer and the first the words to the lyrics.
Kotts
Founder (retired)

Post by Kotts »

I saw this and thought of Berrith.
Maxwell Blue
Founder (retired)

Post by Maxwell Blue »

looooooool

Finally something completely and utterly random. Kudos Kotts. =D
Katelin
Leader
Twitter: @Nine_Swords
Timezone: UTC+01:00

Post by Katelin »

Next topic up for discussion has to be de-forestation.
If you find yourself forced to mercilessly slaughter your teammates because they become infected with some rare mutation, keep in mind that you are only doing your job -
They would do the same for you.
SirVent

Post by SirVent »

no...i think i'll drag out the kudos to kotts just a little bit longer. God how I love puns.