Tank Workshop (Dungeon Run)

Past events / Archive of scheduled events.
May be read by: Public+

Moderator: Leaders

Phanth
Leader

Tank Workshop (Dungeon Run)

Post by Phanth »

This workshop is designed to help you develop your tank build and give you the basic to tank-like-a-boss eventually. Please sign up if you would like to participate or just want to help out. We'll practice in a dungeon that everyone can access.

Please read the Tank Workshop guide before attempting this run, and have one or two of the listed weapons with the related abilities. https://www.nine-swords.com/knowledge-b ... s/154-tank

Don't worry about the quality of the weapon, the abilities are more important to have.

Sign-up:
1. Phanth
2. Relana42
3. Ghostchilde (possible)
4. Ezraell

6. Alternate
7. Alternate
8. Alternate
Relana42

Re: Tank Workshop (Dungeon Run)

Post by Relana42 »

Me! :D
Gebbeth

Post by Gebbeth »

Phanth, can't make the run, but excellent guide, https://www.nine-swords.com/knowledge-b ... s/154-tank - I hadn't read it before and it's got some interesting differences from Rezn's Hammer/Shotgun build, https://www.nine-swords.com/forums/61/10752 which is what I've been experimenting with.

I WILL be tanking more with Gebbeth (and with SugarMe), and appreciate all the help I can get! For Gebbeth, I have all DPS glyphs and signets, but I am working on CDs, with Time & Space, Hammer of Efficiency Mk3, and am building a Recursive ring.

After my forced vacation to Washington DC (1/15-2/09), I plan to go full speed into tanking. While I'm in DC, I'll be at active 'some' but I doubt I'll spend much time playing video games in the hotel room... ;)
“Doubt is uncomfortable, but certainty is ridiculous.” - Voltaire
Airyfairy

Post by Airyfairy »

Unfortunately i can not help in this date, but i am up to help with the tank Workshops in the future. We could make this a regulär academy Workshop if ppl are interested
Shadowcat-x

Post by Shadowcat-x »

My (temporary!) hardware and internet issues make it unwise for me to commit to anything, but if I can get things squared away by Friday, I'd like to participate.

Also, I'm in particular need of tanking experience on lair bosses. I got repeatedly pwned by Red Revere (allegedly one of the easiest lair bosses) because I couldn't time the active dodge correctly and by the time I felt I was getting the hang of it, we'd lost him with too many team wipes.

My eye-hand coordination sux and I need lots of practice (more than most people) learning my rotations and movement so that it becomes muscle memory. With lair bosses, you only get four chances at them, then they're gone--at least in a dungeon, you can keep wiping until you finally get it right. If anyone can think of a way to keep a lair boss "captive" for purposes of practice (off tank and epic kiting, maybe?), that would be an awesome tank workshop.
“When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'.”

― Groucho Marx
Katelin
Leader
Twitter: @Nine_Swords
Timezone: UTC+01:00

Post by Katelin »

Airyfairy wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:33 am ... We could make this a regulär academy Workshop if ppl are interested
Airy - what could also be good from the Academy side is a "pre-heading into the dungeon" part
Like these here: https://www.nine-swords.com/directives/42-workshops

Wouldnt need to be so long as the other workshops, but would be good to make sure your tank-in-learning really has grasped what needs slotting and what mechanics will need thinking about?
If you find yourself forced to mercilessly slaughter your teammates because they become infected with some rare mutation, keep in mind that you are only doing your job -
They would do the same for you.
Airyfairy

Post by Airyfairy »

Yeah Kate, i already talked to shin about the ideas to do a pre workshop. I am just about to move in 2 weeks so i dont realy have a lot of time to focus on that right now. I have a short introduction in mind for everyone who is interested in learning about tanking, maybe introducing things like EffectsUI, mechanics, must haves - part of it is explained in Phanths guide, but maybe ppl have questions. I think it would be usefull to have this 1-2 days prior to the actual dungeon run, so ppl can prepare after questions answered
Ezraell

Post by Ezraell »

Very interesting thread. I would like to join the workshop but am not 100% sure my schedule will allow me.
I would be very interested in learning to tank Lairs! Those are very hasty and people tend to be "pro's" at them so I don't even get to see what the mechanics look like, the boss is either dead or killing my team.

PS: Phanth, in your Workshop you have written about Immutable. It does not prevent damage. It prevents death. When you pop an Immmutable you keep losing health but it won't go under 1HP.
Phanth
Leader

Post by Phanth »

Ezraell wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:51 pm
PS: Phanth, in your Workshop you have written about Immutable. It does not prevent damage. It prevents death. When you pop an Immmutable you keep losing health but it won't go under 1HP.
Thanks I made the correction. I'm not a big user of Immutable, but I've seen it used effectively.
Ezraell

Post by Ezraell »

Is this thread open for discussions about tanking? It's primarly a call for the Workshop event.

Anyway, continuing the topic of Immutable in Chaos tanking, there is one aspect that is often overlooked by Chaos users: it is not merely a survival tool, it shines when it comes to aggro generation.
Immutable itself does not generate aggro, but when under the effect of the spell one generates multiples of the "large amout of hate" tanking abilities usually do.
My tanking startegy consists of luring the target with 3 Shotgun Rocket Pods, if my team has a high DPS I will force taunt, and then pop an Immutable and melt all my Chaos energy in Distortions. Whatever time is left on the Immutable effect I will use the Shotgun Rocket Pod.
This is my way of securing a high aggro on the target by combining Immmutable and high hate generating abilities. I usually make it a rotation consisting of saving energy and bursting everything when Immutable is re-cast.
Of course it has to be adjusted to the adversary, some encounters or phases require to keep that Immmutable ready in case of.
This is how I managed to keep the aggro when we ran that dungeon together. You were geared for E7 as DPS, I was 350-ish.