Suggestion: 9S Training Academy

Old Event requests
Waspstar

Suggestion: 9S Training Academy

Post by Waspstar »

When he replied to a post a while ago, Cassar floated the idea of mentoring. And I mentioned elsewhere that we could really do with lairs that members from other time zones could attend. Without lair runs, getting distillates, and levelling gear is hard and slow.

So, how about one or more leaders, or suitably experienced folks, mentoring interested people in running lairs over a few weeks? This could cover help gathering a group, lfg in chat, and the event itself. Also, standing by to avert disaster [I witnessed one a few weeks ago -- horrible :( ].

Perhaps RIfla's gear expertise could also come in to play in trying to work out how it might be possible for someone who isn't a tank to adapt.

The benefits would be having lair opportunities for those missing out, developing our skills and competences, and having [eventually] a larger base of members who can offer events to all -- less pressure on a few individuals.

As far as I can see, the best window of opportunity would be 10:30 - 14:00 ish, Sat/Sundays.

Any thought? Does the idea suck? It might suck -- I'm just spilling my brains
"So much pain can be avoided by not devising stories that further upset us."

~ Derren Brown
Katelin
Leader
Twitter: @Nine_Swords
Timezone: UTC+01:00

Re: Suggestion: 9S Training Academy

Post by Katelin »

Your idea doesn't suck, and I speak from experience because we have run similar things before.

What we have done before was quite targetted (a group was in mind/had shown interest in learning for the activity to make sense) and it was also for a set given period.. not a long term thing.
If you find yourself forced to mercilessly slaughter your teammates because they become infected with some rare mutation, keep in mind that you are only doing your job -
They would do the same for you.
Waspstar

Post by Waspstar »

Great. Well, I'm definitely interested in learning this dark art :)

~ Derren Brown
Razorgrin
Twitter: @magusferox

Post by Razorgrin »

I'd be happy to turn my regular events into more of a training thing for you, Wasp. We could let you put together the pick-up group and lead the circus xD Trial by fire learning style, but with me there to help mentor, how about it? I don't even mind getting into a voice chat just to make it go smoother, if that's something you'd like to do.

As far as gear and building a PUG while you're a DPS, the only thing you can do in terms of adaption is to level tank gear. There's not many ways around it-- Unless you've got a tank buddy on hand, or someone in your pug is willing to take up the tank role. It never hurts to ask the group, I think. The SWL community is generally pretty nice. Of course, in the case of the Sunday Raids and the Weekly Lairs, I'd be the aforementioned tank buddy ;D
:twisted:
Waspstar

Post by Waspstar »

Thanks a lot, Razor :)

I'm really keen on this, and I'd like to begin in the New Year, if that's OK? The run up to Christmas [only 5 weeks away :shock: ] is going to be a bit hectic for me, and I'm the kind of person that likes to read up and study in prep.

Thanks, also, for the voice chat suggestion. I'm best with text [i.e. I get less confused], if it's workable.

Much appreciated!

~ Derren Brown
Waspstar

Post by Waspstar »

Oh, and btw, wasn't yesterday's lair great? A really happy, friendly group. If you can pass on some of that mojo as well, that'd be great :D

~ Derren Brown
Razorgrin
Twitter: @magusferox

Post by Razorgrin »

Sounds good, we can do some one on one training in the new year. :D Remind me when you're ready, though. My memory is terrible. xD

Yesterday's lair was great, though I've got to say that's mostly my experience with a lot of pick up groups in this game. I think the majority of the community is pretty chill and it's rare that I've had cranky people in raid, knock on wood. If somebody says something it's usually constructive rather than just criticism, it's pretty nice :D
:twisted:
Waspstar

Post by Waspstar »

That sounds great, thanks very much! I'll have a million questions [as always].

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

~ Derren Brown