TSW: P2P & Cash Shop

A place for casual conversations (OOC).
May be posted to by: Applicants +
Pluto
Founder (retired)

TSW: P2P & Cash Shop

Post by Pluto »

Posting this here so that our newer folks can comment and see this as well

MMORPG.com Article on the how we're going to spend our money on this game. Pay to Play and there will be a cash shop. If they actually go with what this guy has written then I would be completely fine with the idea.
"Through fire, justice is served"
-Jack Pendragon

The gloomy Hades enriches himself on our sighs and our tears.
Cephas Ironclad

Re: TSW: P2P & Cash Shop

Post by Cephas Ironclad »

Could not be bothered to read the whole thing, I am used to cash shops and it will only sell vanity items. Its not as if they are saying you have to buy this or you arnt kewl or wont be equal with anyone.
Kotts
Founder (retired)

Post by Kotts »

The only problem I've had with FC's items shops has been the cost.
Uragon
Commander

Post by Uragon »

Ah yes, the prices in AO basically make sure I never ever even consider spending "real cash" on a specific item. Sure, I get free "lolbucks" to spend by having an active subscription, but that's just about the only way I'd spend money there.
Kotts
Founder (retired)

Post by Kotts »

they actually stopped the free points for a subscription thing... So yeah...

I will say the permanent portable bank, for the entire account is freaking awesome. Worth every penny.
Maxwell Blue
Founder (retired)

Post by Maxwell Blue »

I think the guy who wrote that article summarized the issues most gamers have with micro transactions about right.

I don't mind having vanity items in the shop available for real money or even useful items (excluding super rare epic items here) as long as I can somehow get them by playing the game without having to spend extra money on them.
Also it depends on the monthly fee required to play the game. Should there be shop exclusive items not attainable without spending real world money I wouldn't be against that IF the fee was low. If the game is rather pricey I would feel ripped off except we would get some free item shop currency every month as part of our subscription.

Kotts wrote:The only problem I've had with FC's items shops has been the cost.
If the prices are too high (CCP, EVE online, Noble exchange high [they have a monocle without any function other than looking OK for around 60$ O.O, that's right I'm talking US$ here]) I simply wouldn't buy the stuff, but ask myself everytime I see someone running around with such an item 'Why on earth would you buy that???' and wonder if FC wouldn't make more money with cheaper items.

Picking up on another statement from the linked article, I would really enjoy finding new or old real world fashion lines in game (you know like they did for Sims 2... yes i played THAT -.-' ). It would really add some diversity and you could actually go on a shopping spree more than once ... provided they really pull it off to implement good ingame stores.

My 2 €-cents on this topic summarized: Let them have their micro transactions, as long as they play nice. =)
Kotts
Founder (retired)

Post by Kotts »

Thing I don't understand with the micro transactions is why do they insist on charging $3-$5 for one shirt or article of vanity clothing. I mean why not charge something like $0.50 .

If I could get six items for $3 I'm more then likely going to come back and get more, and not have buyers remorse. On top of that if items are under $1 people are likely not going to think twice on the impulse buy.

But I guess it works... everyone is doing it.
Maxwell Blue
Founder (retired)

Post by Maxwell Blue »

i don't understand that either... I mean after all it's micro transaction.. so you'd expect something for less than a dollar, right. And when the concepts had been new prices were around that level.

And you're right Kotts, I would instantly put some items in my cart for around 5$ if they would be less than one dollar each. But with prices well above two dollars for a single item I would really think twices about buying anything at all.
Pluto
Founder (retired)

Post by Pluto »

Yeah I gotta agree with Kotts....buyer's remorse is the main reason I don't buy things in video games with cash shops
"Through fire, justice is served"
-Jack Pendragon

The gloomy Hades enriches himself on our sighs and our tears.