What other MMOs do you play?

A place for casual conversations (OOC).
May be posted to by: Applicants +
Aldric

Re: What other MMOs do you play?

Post by Aldric »

Not playing any other MMOs at the moment (which kinda leads to me having a bit too much free time atm), but I got a cp600+ account in ESO with pretty much all classes levelled up. Still got the achievements for the no death speedruns through all the highest difficulty dungeons ^^ well, save for Veteran Dragonstar Arena. Because nobody bothers with that anymore, anyway.
Haven't really logged in for a long time though, and abandoned the game for good when the Morrowind expansion hit. Patchnotes looked so bad I almost vomited all over them, and participating in the betas did not really help it... I won't pay Zenimax to butcher those fond memories of the oldendays when playing TES III: Morrowind was an almost magical experience.
Now I'm just waiting here, hoping SW:L will not be the same disappointment which Morrowind managed to become.
Bring all your friends to visit. It sharpens the dream.

Helixia

Post by Helixia »

ok, I play ESO casually, still not reached CP160 for the max gear levels and I may not have the insight of an experienced player, but what made Morrowind expansion so terrible? :) I also played Morrowind back in the day, and I also have fond memories of that game, but you can't deny that it was a game that was hilariously broken sometimes, combat was meh, directions were terrible, some mechanics were total nonsense (like you could buy ingredients to make intelligence potions, drink said potions, buy the ingredients again, make more powerful potions, repeat, you could exploit and have some potions that would have astronomical effects, obviously balance was not an issue for a single player, but for a MMO is a very sensitive subject :) But again, I enjoyed every installment of the Elder Scrolls series a lot, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.
Aldric

Post by Aldric »

What made the Morrowind expansion so terrible?

*cracks knuckles*
/rant mode on
Jeez I don't even know where to start. Main healer class (Templars) got their healing done buff cut from +30% to +8%, its most useful tool to help regain resource for others turned into a bad joke, the skill that made stamina builds (usually worst resource sustain) happy because it gave them stamina back and thus made them able to at least use their AoE without Raidclass gear is simply gone, on top of that the two only skills which could help people regain resources share the same internal cooldown on the synergy which causes the regen.
See where this is going?
Dragonknights, the class which even as a magicka build had the highest resource loss per second, had at least the resource regen from a passive which restored resource on Ultimate cast. This got cut down effectively by ~60%+. They had a passive to regen stamina by casting specific skills - also cut down drastically.
Nightblades tended to underperform in terms of damage compared to other classes, but they had their own class identity skill: A buff which made ever normal weapon attack regen a fixed amount of resources and gave every damaging skill a 10% chance to regen a significant amount of both stam and mag on hit. No big deal in singletarget situations, but it made it possible for NBs to at least perform well in AoE scenarios because of the amount of enemies hit, which made resource regen much easier then what other classes had. You could also decide to become a badass and actually play a NB tank with almost complete focus on magicka, regenerating the stamina lost with that 10% chance, thus being the most damaging tank in the game. Well, guess what? The skill is gone. Now it's something that in the end produces about ~200 regen per second without any proc chance for anything, and regens only either mag or stam, so RIP efficient NB offence tanks. Also RIP AoE sustain.
Then we of course have Sorcerers, the class which was great in all aspects of the game, with minor sustain problems. Their resource regenerating skill now has a slight bit more of a startup delay. That's it. They literally decided to crap all over the identity skills and defining passives of the other classes while barely even touching the #1.
Now, I complained a lot about sustain in this update and how all kinds of sustain were nerfed. Does that break the game? No, you now can just weave in fully charged heavies in your rotations. People with more highend gear (fortunate me) can adapt fairly easy to it, but I would not want to be a low cp player in this expansion. Especially on a stam build you just won't be able to perform anywhere near acceptable... unless.
Unless what?
Yea... see, apparently one of the devs tried to play a stamina nightblade at some point (most difficult rotationwise) and broke his fingers in the process, thereby deciding that the new update should force everybody to slow down and fire heavyattacks. So you can just take it one step further and just make a build based on simple heavy attacks. Who needs skills when you can literally just hold your left mouse button and get great dps? DK 42k gg ez.
No, seriously, I just can't take this seriously. I just can't, and I won't.

So much for the ingame balance nonsense. Now for the actual game:
As noted I am a big fan of Morrowind (I really admire the sheer creativity it took to create that world and the main quest, it's unimaginable for me, completely off the scale). In that setting you got acquainted with the Dunmer, the Dark Elves. Moody mischievous people full of disdain and mistrust, complete snobs with the skill and achievements to back it up. Just think of House Telvanni: "If you can't even cast levitation to navigate my home, why should I waste my time with your incapable self?" (paraphrased, but about right). Did not really help that levitation was one of the most mana expensive skills to cast and not a very common potion, either.
In ESO: Morrowind you just have levitation portals everywhere. The Dunmer give away all their well kept secrets after about 5min of a quest, have hardly any traditional bonds and slavery is barely a topic (but when it is, it's about you freeing them ofc). That aside you have the House Indoril questline in the basegame (Stonefalls region mainquest) - the Indoril are the ones who control the temple basically, the badasses of the badasses. Well, not in that quest. Utter and complete disgraces on every single step they take, that's what they are there. And the trend continues with all the dunmer I've seen during my tour of Vvardenfell in the beta. Well, with one notable exception: Divayth Fyr. At least one worthy Dunmer, but that's just not enough. Hell, even Vivec (just think of all the cantatas of vivec in Morrowind, how bloody confusing they are wiritten) just basically tells you everything and presents it on a silver platter.
It just feel that all this whole area stood for, all the individuality and defining patterns were broken, bleached and washed out.
Kinda like the classes. I see a pattern there, and it's not one that I'm willing to pay for, or even waste my time on.
/rant mode off

Sorry. Kinda had to...
Not like there's much activity here atm anyway, so... yea. The above is of course my opinion, and those vary from person to person. I just find it funny how their "make all equal and none stand out" policy to... what actually? Not offend anyone or something? Actually managed to offend me to such a degree. GG Zenimax.
/rant mode really off
Bring all your friends to visit. It sharpens the dream.

Helixia

Post by Helixia »

Thanks :) As I said, I started just before morrowind dropped (had the game for 2 years, but never got into it), so those changes I did not felt them, because I had nothing to compare to. I just took the balance as it is now, so yeah, I can understand your frustration, because my char is a Magicka Templar with which I do some dungeons with Ish and Xkraft from time to time, and can be difficult to not run out of resources when healing.

Anyway, balance is a delicate issue in all MMOs. From my understanding, Zenimax makes changes that affect balance quite often, so what is up today may be down tomorrow and so on.

But on the other hand, I'm amazed at how many dungeons they are, how big cyrodiil is and how expansive the imperial sewers are, and it seems to me it has a metric ton of content yet to do. I just finished main story for the Dominion and now I'm fooling around in the Pact territory, slowly getting CP so as a casual player I'm not complaining.
Pilgrim7

Post by Pilgrim7 »

Work and RL limit time available to play.
Some I have played -
The Division - Played for about a month when it first came out. I can't say enough good about the game play from level 1-30. After that its .... not-so-good. I think a bored TSW player would enjoy/love it. It's paid upfront for the base game. ( get it on sale - original retail might still be worth the fun, but 1/2 price would still be less than a night on the town). It's a beautiful, fascinating, immersive game. It had so much potential ( and hype )
Eve - How does anyone even say truthfully they played it ? There is so much variety in the game that you would only ever see a portion of it. All I can say is "I was there". Not now - time issues. I will say thatif you do try it- pretend you are a CIA spy in 1950 Moscow, trust no-one. ( If your mother plays, goes double... don't trust her ) Don/t forget that this is a game with its own word for "Betrayal". When you respawn, your stuff is GONE, whoever killed you got 20% of it. Rebuild, rebuy, etc. and try again.
Star Trek Online - Beautiful game, much improved over the years. Eternal grind for shinies. Tons of customization available. It's a game for everyone.. Tip -avoid Zone chat. ( turn it off) There are at least several very active, dominant, friendly Fleets ( Cabals ). Many friendly, chatty people. ( I'm not one of them ... chatty, I mean. )
Played Command & Conquer, Age of Empires way back.

Really looking forward to this Legends relaunch !
Omnis in ferro est salus