[TTG]Act 1 Scene 1: The Briefing

Coffee, cake and a chat. (IC)
May be posted to by: Applicants +
wahoozerman

Re: [TTG] Episode 1: The Briefing

Post by wahoozerman »

Thomas Jackson looked up from examining his envelope when Jenn came bouncing into the room. He tucked the envelope, unopened, into the side pocket of his cargo pants, and stood up to go see what Jenn and Alex were trying to get a look at. He could check out whatever was in the envelope later. Presumably they all got similar things, it was probably just another one of Sonnac's briefings. Whatever was in Alex's hand though, there was only one of those, which meant it was special. Doubtless Jenn would figure out something about it before Tom even got close enough to get a look.

He stepped up behind Jenn, standing a bit to her left so that he could see the floating coin hanging in the air in front of her. That was a neat trick. "How's it going?" He asked Jenn quietly, turning his head and giving her a grin. He didn't really expect an answer, he was just letting her know that he was there. Jenn had problems with meeting people. Tom didn't generally have the same issues, which, given his current appearance, was probably a good thing.

Everyone else seemed to have dressed up for the occasion. With the exception of maybe Jenn, who had probably just dressed up for him. He wouldn't let anyone else know though, that could be their secret. Tom on the other hand, had just bounced in from Transylvania, barely in time to make it to the meeting. Remnants of the day's rain still clung to his hair and the voluminous black hoodie that had been keeping him warm. His boots were spattered with enough mud to make him fear the wrath of the cleaning staff, and water had run up his heavy cargo pants until it reached almost to mid calf. There was also a spot of mud on his chin, which he had no knowledge of whatsoever.

As such, he was probably not the best one to be making introductions, or re-introductions, but that didn't seem to phase him at all. "Alex this is Jenn, ah, Jennison Edwards." He had to remind himself to use her full name. "She's the one who was being tailed by that Illuminati agent. The one who couldn't see the secrets or something like that? Thought it was crazy for people to be walking around armed and tried to get Jenn thrown in jail." Tom hadn't had many dealings with Alex, but he was good with faces, and he remembered people who helped him out.
Jennet

Post by Jennet »

Jenn watched the coin float over with renewed fascination. It had been interesting when it was a coin of some sort. Now it had become even more intriguing.

When Tom's voice murmured behind her shoulder, Jenn's tense posture softened and she visibly relaxed. She whispered a soft, "Heyla, Jackson," in return and then reached up and plucked the coin carefully from the air.

Turning the object carefully over in her fingers, she studied it. Only after she'd had a good look did she remember to respond to the man and the introductions Tom was making for her. "Jenn's fine," she offered, as an afterthought. She wrinkled her nose and peered at the man. "Alex? I think I remember running into you."

She glanced around to see if any of the others wanted a closer look-see at the coin. She recognized the faces, having seen them around the Hall, but she couldn't put names to them. "Anyone else?"
And in the fury of this darkest hour, we will be your light...
Elania Vikaernes

Post by Elania Vikaernes »

Elania, while trying to make sense of the newspaper article with her very limited English reading skills, was quickly distracted, upon seeing Alex playing what looked like silly parlor tricks to try to impress the young lady sitting across from them. She frowned, lightly elbowing Alex in the side.

"Show off... is not time for silly magic to impress the pretty girl is time for work."

She set the coin on the table and extended her hand to Jen "I am Elania, kind of new here, and Alex... have you two met before?"

(edited because Jenn beat me to the coin!)
Arcadius

Post by Arcadius »

“Ah, Tom, good to see you again. I don’t think I read that report on this particular Illuminati agent.” Alex spoke with a cordial attitude. Always one with proper attitude, he presented himself as a calm individual. He turned his attention back to Jenn.

“Yes, I think…perhaps we met in the last year? Either way, Alexander Williams. I think we’ve spoken online, more than in real life.” He held out the hand not emitting psychic force to shake. It was true, perhaps they had met here or on Twitter. Time and faces bleed together, and it’s not like the internet helps. There were countless young women that passed through the gates of Temple Hall or the doors to the Horned God. But the name did ring a bell. Alexander recalled a few texts, and he remember coming to the assumption that the two were together. They didn’t make a bad couple.

With her playful scolding, Alex stared at Elania, near dumbfounded.

“Wait, what? No no! These two are together! I’m not trying to impress anyone!” Alex flustered.

“Heh,” he sighed, “I do believe I’ve met them before. Tom here I’m a little more familiar with, and Jenn…yes, we’re more acquainted over Twitter, but we’ve met. It’s been too long for me to accurately put names to faces.”
I once tried playing Blind Man's Bluff with a Tarot Deck. Someone got the Ten of Swords, and well, that was the end of that.
Cybella

Post by Cybella »

A quiet voice comes from the back of the room. A petite woman came forward and sat down at the table with the group. She was wearing red heeled boots, black jeans, and red t-shirt; dog tags hung from her neck.

"Could I see the coin, please.....Jenn was it?"

Cybella was screaming at herself inside her head. At 24 and after 6 years in the military, you would think her apprehension at meeting strangers would have abated a little, but here she was terrified as ever. It didn't help that some of the group already seemed to know each other. Yet she was determined to show that she belonged here and could be helpful to the group.

"My name is Isabella. I'm kinda new around here as well. Didn't even believe in things like magic and monsters until a few months ago. It's nice to meet some new people around here."

She could see a little of the coin in front of Jenn from where she sat, and recognized what she thought was a Templar cross on the one side. Isabella had spent the first few minutes of the briefing reading through the newspaper clipping. She was curious to see the coin, to see what possible connection the two had.
Elania Vikaernes

Post by Elania Vikaernes »

Elania looked back up to Alex, after having gone back to carefully putting together the words in the newspaper article, and spoke with a little wave of her hand.

"Well how I am supposed to know this? I have barely figured out who are my co-workers, nevermind who are much more than just working together. Either way, nice to meet you both."

She slinked down a little lower in her chair, attempting to remove attention from herself as she went back deeper into the article, waiting for a free moment to take a look at the coin. When Isabella entered, only one thing crossed her mind:

"finally, someone who look as uncomfortable as I do."
Jennet

Post by Jennet »

Jenn may have left the Templar red out of her outfit, but her cheeks were making up for it now. She was pointedly not looking at Tom as she chattered at Alexander. "Oh. Right, that's where I've heard your name lately. Twitter." Jenn shifted from blushing to paler when she brought up Twitter. She was rapidly passing through a full spectrum of skin tones.

She'd started to take Elania's hand gingerly to shake, but she got distracted when Alexander calmly filled the room in on her love life, and she had to remember to move her hand limply, let alone take it back when she was done. "Oh, Cor, I'm sorry. Elania. Nice to meet you. Jenn." She handed the coin over to Isabella with her other hand. "And Isabella. Pleasure."

She freed herself from various greetings and took a step or two back, unconsciously shifting toward Tom. She went from offering nervous smiles to everyone to studying her boots. Her gaze caught on the newspaper clipping, and she snatched her copy up again, studying it with determination. Staring at it meant she didn't have to meet anyone's eyes for a little while. She did sneak little glances at the man staring at the floor as if he might talk to it, though.
And in the fury of this darkest hour, we will be your light...
Cybella

Post by Cybella »

"Thank you."

Isabella took the coin from and began to study over it. While her skills in social interaction may be severely lacking, her skills in observation were top notch. Assuming that taking pictures of what was clearly very sensitive evidence would be off limits, she tried to memorize as many details of the coin as she could. It certainly didn't appear to be currency of any kind that she was familiar with, and as she got a good look at it, she felt certain that was a Templar cross on the one side.

She thought to herself, "Is this some sort of internal investigation?"

She gently placed the coin back in the center of the table, and sat back down. She jotted down some quick notes from the article and her impressions of the coin.
Volen

2,300 a Day

Post by Volen »

This is the article copy you received with a sticky note on it initialed "RS". The sticky reads... "The Archivist reports many of the missing are Templars! Could this truly be the case?"

2,300 a Day

Reports of missing persons have increased sixfold in the past few years, from roughly 150,000 in 2012 to about 900,000 this year. The increase was driven in part by the country's growing population. But the numbers also indicate that law enforcement treats the cases more seriously now, including those of marginalized citizens.

An astounding 2,300 people are reported missing every day, including both adults and children.

But only a tiny fraction of those are stereotypical abductions or kidnappings by a stranger.

For example, the government counted 840,279 missing persons cases in 2012. All but about 50,000 were juveniles, classified as anyone younger than 18.

The National Center for Missing Adults consistently tracks about 48,000 "active cases," although that number has been bumped up by nearly 11,000 reports of persons missing this year.

In a phone interview, the government said a breakdown of the 48,000 cases reveals the nature of these persons.

Slightly more than half—about 25,500—of the missing are men. About four out of 10 missing adults are white, three of 10 black and two of 10 Latino.

Among missing adults, about one-sixth have psychiatric problems. Young men, people with drug or alcohol addictions and elderly citizens suffering from dementia make up other significant subgroups of missing adults.

About half of the roughly 800,000 missing juvenile cases in 2012 involved runaways, and another 200,000 were classified as family abductions related to domestic or custody disputes.

Only about 100 missing-child reports each year fit the profile of a stereotypical abduction by a stranger or vague acquaintance.

Two-thirds of those victims are ages 12 to 17, and among those eight out of 10 are white females, according to a Justice Department study. Nearly 90 percent of the abductors are men, and they sexually assault their victims in half of the cases.

To further complicate categorization of cases, the agency designates some missing-person incidents—both adult and juvenile—that seem most dire as "endangered" or "involuntary."
Volen

The Coin

Post by Volen »

2013-05-07 10-05-13.903.jpg
2013-05-07 10-05-13.903.jpg (43.55 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
2013-05-07 10-04-15.232.jpg
2013-05-07 10-04-15.232.jpg (40.79 KiB) Viewed 3171 times