Unto The Beach

Past events / Archive of scheduled events.
May be read by: Public+

Moderator: Leaders

Ishco

Re: Unto The Beach

Post by Ishco »

Oh my, I'm tanking it. Allright, I'll get level 50 until then. :o I have faith in me.
Hinoki
Twitter: @Foustiko

Post by Hinoki »

Hinoki - Tank or low derpse
Tanking rules :
1 - If you die, there's no way that was your fault.
2 - Accuse your healer.
3 - Repeat 1 & 2.
4 - Remember, DPS never steal aggro, you just allow them see how it is hard to be a tank.
Staief

Post by Staief »

I would love to go and try this out. I can only tank. It may take me a second to know exactly what I am doing, but I will try to look some stuff on what I should be doing before we go.
Rezn

Post by Rezn »

Staief wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:56 pm I would love to go and try this out. I can only tank. It may take me a second to know exactly what I am doing, but I will try to look some stuff on what I should be doing before we go.
From what I've read about tanking Lairs, you need TONS of HP, like as much as you can get. All HP talismans, maybe a potion (can do the free ones from caches, but ones bought for MoF will suffice), and tanking "cheese" abilities such as pulverize (Hammer) with passive (boosts HP by something like 45%), Immutable (Chaos) for a damage shield and hp restoration, Thick Skin (Hammer) with passive (get Pulverize buff up first, then hit this for a large barrier since it scales with HP), and possibly Rocket Pod (Shotgun) with passive for a protection boost. Lean more towards mitigation abilities rather than interrupts, DPS can handle interrupting.
Inor

Post by Inor »

I'd love to give it a go. Just need to polish my DPS talismans and probably buy a few anima potions.
Aldric

Post by Aldric »

Rezn wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:55 pm DPS can handle interrupting.

Yea, careful with that.
While it's true that tanks currently have to compensate with defensive cds for their lower-than-required gear, depending on DDs to interrupt can backfire in several ways:
1. Builds that use channeled abilities can't just interrupt their channel when they see something that needs to be interrupted, so channel + turn away from target to stop channel + use interrupt + possibly get in range to do so + server/input lag = dead tank fairly easily. You also can't tell a DD to stuff their skillbar with stuns, because they actually are there to deal damage. And since a DD most likely has not even the slightest idea about what can be interrupted and what can not, they will need several skills to handle this. Also, if you get three DDs to slot the stun (interrupt) gadget, you'll have to make absolutely SURE that they can use it in the right order. Which, from my experience with raids, you really can't unless you're literally screaming it at them over voice-com.
That being said, I have bought the stun gadget simply because I see tanks in elites failing to interrupt things on a daily basis (and then blaming the DDs because they don't have the skill space. In elite 1. I always wonder what the hell they are made off that they believe they need three def. cds and a def gadget), but still coordination will be needed since that thing has a long cooldown.
Or the tank could slot an interrupt (or invest in a higher quality gadget + cd reduction signet) and prevent people going at each other's throats after the first three failed interrupts because somebody forgot it was their turn or had theirs still on CD or lag or whatever.

/rantmode off
Sorry, too many bad experiences with that in other MMOs.
Bring all your friends to visit. It sharpens the dream.

Mellified

Post by Mellified »

I made a Lair guide:

https://www.nine-swords.com/forums/43/10556

Please add stuff or tell me I'm wrong :)
Last edited by Mellified on Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I was carried to Ohio
In a swarm of bees

- The National Bloodbuzz Ohio
Shock G

Post by Shock G »

Mellified wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:25 pm I made a Lair guide:

https://nine-swords.com/forums/43/10556?p=69919#p69919

Please add stuff or tell me I'm wrong :)
Clicking the link takes me to a page that tells me I need to be logged in to view it, and I'm already logged in.
Mellified

Post by Mellified »

Thanks Shock - I think I've fixed it
I was carried to Ohio
In a swarm of bees

- The National Bloodbuzz Ohio
Pilgrim7

Post by Pilgrim7 »

I have the same issue as Shock.
Can't access the page as there is a login barrier.
Omnis in ferro est salus